Thursday, October 30, 2008

The BLOCK PARTY!!! (with Del and Emily...)

A couple of weeks ago we attended a birthday party after church on Sunday, and after that we went to a BLOCK PARTY" in our neighborhood.

Every year the neighborhood people get together and close off the whole block and party, party, party! It was all very innocent, with lots of good homemade food and friends that some people would only see once in awhile as they entered or exited their homes. The world has become such a fast paced whirl, that it is nice to sit down and talk to your neighbor at least once a year and actually be able to have a conversation!

I met a VERY interesting couple, and spent my whole time there talking to them. He (Del) was 78, and she (Emily) was 74. The week before the party they had just gotten back from China! I thought it was a vacation but it turned out that it was a work expedition.

Del, who is a retired science professor it seems, is still working! He has to travel all over the world and take samples of dirt! I guess they are looking for radiation percentages.

While they were there they had an opportunity to ride elephants! (I am lucky I can drive a car, let alone elephants!) Poor Emily, had a bad car accident 3 years ago, and broke almost every bone in her body! She still has alot of pain. (My question was: How did you manage to get up on an elephant? Her answer was: "very slowly!"

One of their hobbies is dancing, which I am finding is a popular passtime down here. they said the next time they go, they will call me. (they didn't remember to get my phone number though... I think I will give them a call once I get settled into my new home.

I really enjoyed meeting them. Guess how they met?

Both were widowers, and they are now married 10 years.

I meet the most interesting people!!

No comments: